- Who am I? I am a seasoned HR professional with over 25 years of HR experience in a number of different industries. I believe that HR does not need to be complicated, but good HR is necessary for any business to grow. I have always worked as an HR generalist, using my knowledge and experience to help the companies or clients I work for with their ‘people’ challenges and opportunities.
- Why are you in HR? I have always enjoyed the ‘people’ aspect of business, but had not considered HR as a career until it found me. Prior to my last year of university, as a summer job I was recruited to support the HR function of a new business opening in Vancouver. That was over 25 years ago and I have been doing it ever since. I enjoy the people aspect of what I do and find that HR and employee issues come naturally to me. I am a good listener and feel that I can cut through the BS to find a solution quickly. To support my experience I have gone on to compete my CHRP (Canada), PHR (US), GPHR (Global) and new HRMP (Global) human resource designations.
- What you like about what you are doing? The variety. The people. The challenges and impact we can make on a business. I feel that the success of most businesses is based on the people that they employ. I can make a difference with the companies we work with and their financial success. I like the variety of work and the diversity of our clients as I get to deal with many different businesses, cultures and employee issues. I enjoy gaining new experience while helping companies effectively manage their HR.
- What are your interests outside of work? I have 2 children, boy/girl twins, which I enjoy spending time with and that keep my wife and I busy with all their sports. My individual interests consist of CrossFit, cycling, golf and running. I also coach both of my children’s soccer teams. In my down time I enjoy watching professional football (NFL or CFL).
- Favorite place you have traveled? Hawaii, Greece and the interior of BC are all great places I’ve visited but really anywhere I go with my family is great. I’d like to visit Europe and Australia in the next few years.
Who am I? I have over 20 years’ experience as a Human Resources Professional focused mainly in the retail sector. I hold certifications in Human Resource Management from UBC, Career Transition Specialization, Employment Facilitation/Work Search Specialization and Global Career Development Facilitation from Yorkville University.
- Why you are in HR? What first drew me to the Human Resources field was my passion for helping people. I have the unique ability to relate to individuals from all walks of life, including senior executives, managers, and front-line workers.
- What you like about what you are doing? As an advisor, facilitator and trainer, I have managed the onboarding/training of new staff, the recruitment & selection process and provided mentoring to both staff and clients.
In addition to my Human Resources support role, I am a professional Career Transition Specialist with extensive experience in the corporate environment across a number of industries.
- What are your interests outside of work? I have achieved my 3rd Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo and when I am not at work, supporting my clients, I volunteer as an Instructor teaching beginner-level skills to colour belts of all ages at a Black Belt Academy. You can also find me doing my best to go out of my comfort zone to try new things. My latest adventure is “Aerial Silks” training at a local Circus school!
- Favourite places you have traveled? New York City and the Hawaiian Islands, however, I have a trip planned to the UK and Europe, and once those trips happen, we might be adding to this section!
- Who am I? I am a seasoned professional with over 20 years’ experience in administration, human resources, and customer service. I also have had the pleasure of working with many top-notch executives as an executive assistant working in both the private and public sectors.
- Why you are in HR? I was born and raised on Vancouver Island and moved to the North Shore, after graduating, to attend college. I landed a great job that kick-started my career within the human resources arena, working along-side some of the best in the business. During this tenure, I started taking courses at BCIT and graduated with a Human Resources Management Certificate.
- What you like about what you are doing? I have had one client say “I wish every company had a Debbie in their HR department” because I care. I treat people, at all levels, how I would want to be treated. My outgoing personality, positive attitude, sense of humour and willingness to listen and support individuals, has proven that HR is in my blood.
- What are your interests outside of work? I enjoy getting out and about in our beautiful BC backyard, as well as, the Pacific Northwest. Having lived in Seattle and Portland, I often travel back there to visit friends. I enjoy pretty much anything outdoors from biking, golfing and kayaking to hitting the slopes in the winter.
- Favourite place you have traveled? I was fortunate to have friends living in the British Virgin Islands where I spent three fun-filled weeks. Definitely a place I would travel back to and highly recommend this be a travel destination for anyone who sails.